Friday 21 January 2011

15 Days to Go

5 miles easy tonight. That was it. Already from just one day off and a short run tonight, my legs felt 30% better and I had way more gas in the tank.

Today I learned that the Lakeland 100/ 50 mile races (UTLD) have sold out the full quota of 700 places in 2011. That is phenomenal. They have only been going, from what I can tell, since 2008 and have quickly grown the event into a monster. The most intriguing thing for me, is that they do not mark the course. Needless to say the area is absolutely out of this world, the photrography I've seen make it look like a truly stunning race course.

We have had 3 x 100 milers enter in the last 48 hours. To be honest, even if we only get 50 runners total, I will still be proud and delighted that people think there is enough to warrant spending a lot of time and money giving the inaugural race a crack. I will endeavour to send every one of them home having had the best possible experience. The amount of correspondance and number of entrants is growing daily. All in all I'm getting pretty excited already and we're 7 months away....

On another note I got drawn in the lottery for UTMB this week. I was hoping I wouldn't get in as I have a wedding that weekend (plus Leadville the weekend before) so I could defer until 2012 for automatic entry. I can't so I'll have to give up my place. Having been lucky enough to tick a few of my 'dream race' boxes in the last couple of years, the list of things I still want to have a go at ultra wise have reduced and I'm pretty clear already about what I want to have a crack at in 2012. At the moment I have my eye on either HURT or Arrowhead in January, Hardrock in July, UTMB in August and Spartathlon in September. All of those assuming I finish the 7 big events I have this year....

No comments:

Post a Comment