Friday 18 November 2011

Streaking

I always intended to have a race I went back to year after year. It is after all great to stick with an event and support it from the outset. The trouble with streaking is you never really know if that event might one year cease to exist, leaving you hanging...

Really long streaks of super hard events do exist. At the race briefing for Badwater, Chris Kostman the RD makes everybody who has finished the race stand up. He then asks who has finished twice and those with only one finish sit back down, and so on until there is only one man left standing - Marshall Ulrich with 17 official finishes since 1990, there are a couple of DNFs in there. Does that mean it doesn't count? Then there was the chap at Leadville this past year who stood up to be recognised in the pre race briefing, having started and finished the last 28 Leadville 100's missing just the first ever race. Feet in the Clouds, which if you haven't read, you should, is full of stories of people like Eddie Campbell with 40 - 50 year streaks in fell races like Ben Nevis.

I wonder what the greatest race streak of all time is. Meaningful race that is, not park runs etc.

Today I will head out of the door for a run for the first time in almost two weeks. My knee feels a lot stronger, I guess I'll find out how strong later tonight. It would be nice to be able to blog about running for a change rather than various other subjects.

Finally the trailer for this looks great, I can't wait to see the full thing. There are a lot more Brits in the WS100 lottery this year already. Hopefully we can have as good a showing as 2011 and an even better result at the front end of the field than Nick Clark's 3rd and Ian Sharman's 10th. I would expect we will see both of those super talented runners to go better at the very least.

1 comment:

  1. Jez was 4th too and he's the only Brit from this year's WS top 10s who actually lives in the UK still. Ellie will struggle to do better than a win and being only the 2nd lady to go under 18h, but I don't think Nick or Jez will be running next year so I might have less English accents to chase.

    ReplyDelete