Monday 13 June 2011

North Downs Way 26.2, 50 & 100 mile

Just a message to anybody reading this who has signed up for the NDW races. Thank you. When we set up the Mara, 50 and 100 in November 2010, we were told we could expect around 50 runners to participate across all 3 distances in our first year. Registrations started trickling in slowly to begin with but have increased exponentially in the last two months in particular, so much so, that we have had to put limits on the entry numbers because I am acutely aware that we need to make sure we manage a lower number of runners exceptionally well rather than a higher number, averagely.


I made it clear at the beginning that I wanted to put on the kind of races that I personally wanted to run, taking learnings from some of the best organised ultras I have been able to run myself. We are getting there now and as each day passes another thing drops in to place. I think it helps that I can visualise exactly how I want the race to play out, but there is a massive amount of pressure now to deliver. The humbling thing is that so many people obviously think we can because so many have entered!! That and the fact that many have run on the North Downs Way and love the trail. Needless to say we continue to work harder than ever to make this first event as great as it can be.

I have mentioned the info packs a couple of times but they are now all finished and will be mailed out on Friday. The only thing missing is the detail on our nutritional sponsor which I am hoping we can announce at the same time.

There is a mammoth blog to follow this on the results of the poll on 'dream races' but I may cut it down a bit yet.....

On a personal level I have 11 days to go to Western States and still I haven't run barely a step (well since early May anyway). 2.5 miles up Lions head and 2.5 back down again isn't quite the level of training I'd hoped to have going in to a mountain 100. It seems prudent now to start to ease up on the cycling and swimming and give the shin every chance at repairing itself in time to make it through my 'dream race'....

No comments:

Post a Comment