Wednesday 8 June 2011

17 days to Western States

Last night I got e mail confirmation from Greg Soderlund the RD of Western States that the race is definitely on. Rumours had been circulating for some time that the lingering snow pack in the Californian High Country would force the abandonment of the 2011 race. The only previous occasion WS as been cancelled was 2008 and as a result of fires. On that occasion, the 2008 field became the 2009 field and everyone else had to wait another 2 years to try their hand in the lottery (including me).

So with a persistent shin problem, that news is pretty mixed in my book. If they had postponed it I could have waited until next year and hopefully been in better shape to tackle it, but on the other hand the whole grand slam would have been out of the window. Now it's on, I intend to start it, see how I go and then take each of the following 3 races as they come.

I ran up and down Lions Head in Cape Town last Friday, which felt like a breeze. It is about a 1800 foot climb in the space of 2.5 miles from sea level which is a similar pitch to the 4 mile 2500 foot climb at the start of Western States. Going uphill my leg is fine. I ran every step and was breathing hard in places but not blowing up (there is no way I would dream of starting Western States that hard). Coming down felt a bit shaky but I'd been pain free in the days preceeding it so it was time to test it out.

Lions Head overlooking Cape Town. My run ended in the clouds

Profile of the first 3 miles of Western States
A couple of days later and both of the previous stress fracture areas on the outside of the bone feel solid and pain free. I still have some sensation in the central cortex of the tibia however which is where the stress reaction resides.

The small strand structure in the centre of my bone has tiny cracks in it

So it isn't quite ready yet, nearly but not quite. The docs view is that I shouldn't have trouble getting it pain free and the reaction cleared up in time for the race. The problem is that whilst it isn't 100% I can't run on it. It is therefore likely that I will start the race on zero running miles for over a month.

That sounds insane but actually the massive amount of biking and added swimming i have been doing has clearly helped me maintain good fitness. It has been achingly dull but the little sojourn up the side of Lions Head showed me exactly what coach Lisa has been saying, keep up the cross training and you will start as fit as you have for all of the other races I have done. The problem is purely that the running muscles are going to be stale as anything.

So between now and the race, it is head down, bike and swim each day as usual, work hard on Centurion and be patient as the pain continues to ease. If we get to race week and i'm in pain then Western States will go on ice....

1 comment:

  1. Hey James - you should really look at the ElliptiGO which is quite simply an amazing bit of kit - a cross-trainer like you get in the gym but which you can take on the roads!! I've had mine since January and am doing the majority of my training miles on it in the build up to the NDW100. it's zero impact so great for your bone injury and way better than a conventional bike for zoning in on the running muscles. Check out the website and tell me what you think!? I've just completed the Chiltern100 on it and it's an absolute blast to ride. Stu.

    ReplyDelete