Saturday 9 April 2011

Major Changes

This week I quit my day job to go and live the dream. I plan to invest the summer making the first Centurion Event on the North Downs Way all it can be and making sure I get proper rest between each race in the Grand Slam. 7 weeks from now all I'll have to worry about is running 456 miles over 5 races and 15 weeks. We're moving out of London and all I can say is thank GOD. I am sick of it and I always used to love this city so I hope a part of that comes back. 

Today I ran for the first time in 6 weeks. On Monday morning I went in to see my old friend Joe who works at the English Institute for Sport treating English Olympic Athletes. The guys ran some tests on my fracture, first with ultra sound and then with X Rays. The news came back positive, the break looks to have healed. From Thursday on I commenced walking without the aircast. This afternoon I was cleared to do an hour and a half on my feet alternating three minutes walking with two minutes running. 

I can start to look forward now, albeit the recovery process is not finished yet. My training at the moment is an equal rotation of cycling, spinning, elliptical, stair master, swimming and walking. As the weeks roll by the blend will stat to include more running but I won't be putting any distance back for at least another week. Having been through a few rounds already this year I won't be rushing back.

I feel pretty fit, though not dangerous. I've packed in as much training time with the cast on as I would have done with it off. Some of the sessions have been much harder than I would usually have made them and I think that's just vented frustration but I have enjoyed trying to MAX OUT on the HR.

2 comments:

  1. Hey James you may want to check out the ElliptiGO (www.elliptigo.co.uk) as a very credible way to cross-train outside and come back from your injury. I bought one at the beginning of the year - in fact it was the first in the UK and they are an absolute blast to ride and you get a serious workout! Way way more than you could ever get on a conventional bike, plus you are using the same muscle groups that you would when running. Check it out and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good man, congrats on the lifestyle change

    Twitching w twight:
    http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=15

    ReplyDelete