Sunday 1 May 2011

Three Forts Marathon A Year On

Just a little gauge of how I'm currently faring vs this time 2010, today last year was the Three Forts Marathon which I ran in a time of 3 hours 13 minutes, not too bad for a 27 mile trail race with 3500ft of climbing. Today, I managed a 4.2 mile walk in just over an hour.

BUT the pain in my shin is improving. I still can't run and I'm not sure when I'll be able too but you know what as long as it keeps improving I might just yet be able to scrape in with a start at Comrades.

Training partners are extremely important and mine is in a filthy mood this weekend as his shingles came back at the end of last week. I am lucky enough to get to train with Webbo 3 or 4 times a week. A typical training session will be stair machine for 30 minutes where he gets annoyed because I'm a better climber than him and then 30 - 45 minutes on the bike where the competition is always to go as far as possible in that time. Sometimes I let him win so that he doesn't give up but I've got 10 years on him. On a serious note he does put up with an inordinate amount of moaning on my part, particularly during the last 3 months (3 MONTHS!!!!!) that I have been unable to run because of this stress fracture. If you don't have anyone to train with, find someone, find a club, find a team. It doesn't really matter who but at the end of the day you'll end up pushing each other far harder than if you go it alone. It helps if you're pretty evenly matched. Webbo is the most competitive person I've ever met when it comes to sport. Works out pretty well. When we race together 'as a team' it does not because it becomes a competition to see who can be in front whenever there is a camera. Below picture South Downs Way last year sprinting down a hill half way through our second 35 mile day. Children (I am in front though).



The Centurion Entries keep on rolling in. Places for the North Downs Way races are up over the 100 mark across all three distances. I don't think we'll reach our limit, imposed so as to keep logistics manageable in our first event but we're at a level now where all three distances have a good number of entries. I am delighted and we'll continue to work as hard as ever to make things as good as possible on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment