Wednesday 11 May 2011

18 Days to Go

18 Days until I'm supposed to line up on the startline of Comrades. I don't want to say too much right now as I'm so disillusioned with this whole process of injury and recovery. Really not sure where I stand right now. I finally commenced walking again last week and ran for the first time a couple of days ago. I've clocked 5 miles each of the past 2 days in a very easy pace, my fitness feels ok, my legs are a little tight after each run because they're not used to that movement too. I don't have any specific pain in the left shin but it doesn't feel right. The calf is withered away and whilst much stronger than a month ago when I attempted comeback number 1, it still pales into insignifance against the strength of my right leg. 

There is an interesting feature on the new spinning bikes at the gym, allowing you to monitor over the course of a ride how much of the overall effort is being transmitted through either pedal. On average at the moment after about an hour the right leg is performing 53% of the work and the left 47%. That isn't intentional it's just a case of the left dragging as it is weaker. 

I have all my fingers and toes crossed that if I am sensible and stick to 5 miles a day or less I might be able to start in South Africa. The question then is whether I am going to injure myself further and put myself out of Western States and the Slam. I'll have to make that call as I go, but 55 miles of road running is probably the last thing my leg needs right now. Ian Sharman messaged me this week (4 time Comrades finisher). His note read 'even if you run 1 mile and get in the sweeper bus you'll still get a chance to experience the race'. I may just have to do that. I won't jeopardise Western States for Comrades. It was and is the Goal/ A race of this year. 

On the Centurion front, the entries are flying in. We are up to 125 for the NDW races and over 50 for the Thames Path. A phenomenal response for races in their first year. Logistically we are ironing out the final details of the aid station locations and I've been lucky enough to enlist the help of Henk Van Der Beek the RD of Caesar's Camp Endurance Runs in ensuring I've thought of everything going in to race day. Nothing substitutes experience and Henk has bucket loads of it having been through all of this before. For that I'd like to thank him.

Happy running out there. I'll blog once more before Comrades and then it's prayer time!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment