Saturday 5 March 2011

Stress Fracture

Well I had the MRI on Wednesday night which was an interesting experience in itself. I hadn't had one for about 11 years and the machines have certainly gotten a lot quieter in that time. I actually fell asleep lying down listening to the clunking of the cylindrical behemoth.

I got the results back on Thursday afternoon with a pretty abrupt e mail from the doctor stating quite simply that I did indeed have a stress fracture of the left tibia. As discussed in previous posts it was obvious something was pretty badly wrong ever since Rocky Raccoon, but I hadn't expected to find out I had been running on a broken leg for 3 weeks. 

It's hard to state exactly where I go from here because I don't have the full prognosis yet. Obviously I need to let this heal and any impact will prevent it from doing so. That means I won't be able to run for what is my book an awfully long time. I've had to abandon all short-mid term racing plans including Umstead. It is possible I may need surgery but the physio talked to me on Friday night and said that was unlikely. I'll find out soon if I need an air boot to help keep the weight off of the bone whilst I'm going about daily life. 

On the bright side I can continue to cross train so I will do that as much as I can and try to retain the fitness I have built up over the last couple of months and try to get well in time for Comrades (3 months away) but more importantly the Grand Slam (4 months away). 

It really does suck not being able to run. It's been 4 days and I'm already fidgeting. I want to do everything possible to assist the healing of the fracture but the reality is there is little I can do except rest. It doesn't hurt just walking around, there is more of an itchy sensation from deep within my leg which is a little perturbing but at least I'm not immobile. 

On a much happier note the Centurion website is all but done and we will be launching it later tonight so check it out from Sunday 6th onwards www.centurionrunning.com . We are adding forums and a lot more detail on the individual races themselves including where and when the 2nd 100 mile trail race which will be held on the Thames Path in March 2012. The North Downs Races are proving popular and we passed 50 entrants this week. The entries into the 50 have increased to 8 but still lag well behind the 100 (21) and the marathon (24). We are still over 5 months from race day so if the interest levels continue I will have to think about limiting the numbers to make sure we have a sustainable race in our first year which is extremely important.



I read Anthony Kiedis' autobiography again this week. RHCP a class act for 25 years. My top 2 below Yertle the Turtle and Don't Forget Me. John Frusciante at his best at 4:00 in the first one. 




No comments:

Post a Comment