Thursday 26 August 2010

UTMB

Well the 2nd big run of the year starts tomorrow at 6:30pm in the centre of Chamonix in France. Last year I had to pull out of running the race due to shin splints and achilles tendonitis, I still travelled but instead crewed the race for Frank Fumich.

This year I've been in good shape in the run up, no injury worries and my legs feel strong and recovered after Badwater. Last night we returned from Sri Lanka after 11 days holiday. For the last 48 hours of it, I was in trouble with a stomach bug. I've spent the whole of today unable to eat anything apart from a couple of pieces of dried toast and the trouble continues. My energy levels are through the floor and my frustration is mounting with every hour that passes as we get nearer and nearer the race. We fly this afternoon at 5pm out of Gatwick so ive got 2 hours before I leave the house. Everything is packed, drop bags, running pack, race gear, drop bag for Lisa who is going to come and meet me at Champex Lac 123km in to the race. Tomorrow I will get up, check in to the race and pray that I can get at least one proper meal in before we start. Being realistic this is not the sort of race that you can rock up to and knock out feeling like shit. But at the same time I don't think I can face not starting again. Who knows if my stomach picks up over the course of the first 24 hours of running I may be able to gorge on the sausage, cheese and baguettes that they serve at the aid stations.

Well fingers crossed that this goes to plan. Its unlikely I will get in to this race again next year due to the increasing popularity, I really can't face thinking about having to wait years to run this one again, there's other things that are pretty high up on the list and a few of them are right around this particular weekend....

2 comments:

  1. Good luck mate - give me a call if you get a chance once you are at Gatwick. You have a knacl of overcoming adversity...you wouldnt know what to do if everything went smoothly.

    Thinking of you - wishing I was there, but very happy not to be racing.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - if it helps - why not think of how painful Furnace Creek will be...maybe that takes your mind off the pain of this particular foray.

    ReplyDelete