Friday 9 December 2011

Base Training

I am trying to put together a string of consistent daily training runs. My chest infection has cleared but it has left a case of pretty bad asthma behind for which I am on prednisone and two inhalers. First time I've suffered with asthma since I was a kid and it is debilitating to say the least.

I really didn't expect to be back running this soon. I called our fatass 100 off just recently because almost all of our signees dropped out but also because I figured I wouldn't be able to even get out and mark out the circa 16 mile loop. So I am delighted that for now the worst of my problems is a coughing fit every time I crest a hill....

Anyway so the loop I have set out as a daily run is a 14.3 mile excursion which takes me in an almost perfect loop out from our house. 95% of it is on trail which is at times pretty muddy but it has enough of everything to keep me honest including some small rollers but no significant climbs unfortunately. The 14ish miles has about 1200 feet of climbing, not really enough but as good as I am going to get around northern Hertfordshire.

Having seen the doc on Tuesday afternoon, he gave me the go ahead to resume training, advising me to take an inhaler on route. On Wednesday I head out for the first time in almost 2 weeks and purposefully didn't look at my watch, walked every hill and just enjoyed being out in the fresh air. I have vowed to myself that this period of base training is about time on my feet, not as much about the watch, I am just grateful to be on my feet right now. I got back to the house in 2:27, the slowest I've done that route in by over 15 minutes in 10 plus goes. Yesterday I got around in 2:23 and felt totally out of puff on the hills, to me they were un-runnable. The good news was that my legs felt great, no sign of aches, pains of muscle stiffness. Tonight I did decide to got out and push a tempo effort. I took the ventolin before I went out and ran all but one of the climbs, with only minor bouts of coughing fits. I got back to the house in a somewhat forced 1:59:53 as I blasted the last bit of track to get in under 2 hours. It's not perfect but I'll take it.

So I am looking to continue this streak. Sure it's not going to be possible to get out of the house for 2 plus hours every day but whenever I can I plan to bank the same miles and build it in consistently. Most of the sessions will be at 10 minute mile pace, walking plenty and getting everything used to being out again, trying to avoid picking up injuries. If I can throw in the odd 2 hour tempo effort I will. Incidentally 14.3 miles x 7 happens to be.... insignificant really but intriguing nonetheless.

I have been listening to the ultrarunner podcasts while I've been out each time and they are fantastic. If you get the chance to download them and take them out, do it. In particular the interviews with Sunny Blende on nutrition are massively helpful for ultrarunners of all abilities and experience. My own personal favourite is the Frank Bozanich interview but I've been over that before.....

Happy running.

PS Good luck to everyone in the WS lottery tomorrow afternoon. I am in there too....

No comments:

Post a Comment