Tuesday 13 September 2011

Return to Running

I haven't run a step yet since Leadville, I just wanted to give it a proper rest for a while and get some of the hunger back - and it's worked. That's 23 days without running which is the longest break I've ever taken (well since I gave up being fat anyway). My leg is pain free which is a good sign. I feel much stronger I have done for a long time. Having no massive races looming for which I am untrained and out of shape helps too.

Since returning from Colorado we have finally made our move out into the English countryside. It is a far cry from London, returning home each night via a 10 minute commute to total silence and most importantly, trails running right out of our front doorstep. That should make for some improved running, in time. I am going to just turn the legs over a little later tonight and see how my shin feels. If it all goes to plan I am still going to take the rest of the week off completely and start very slowly again from next week. My aim is to build up more slowly and steadily than I ever have done before and regain some strength for the start of 2012. I have entries left in races for this year which got mailed months and months ago (Round Rotherham 50, CCER 50, Luton Marathon) so I might pick one or two of them but otherwise I'm going to take a back seat until fatass.

The problem with having more time from less running is that I end up spending more and more time looking at races for next year. Im trying so hard to hold back but.....

Centurion Stuff is extremely time consuming right now as we go through trying to finalise the aid station positions for the Thames Path 100 in March, relaunch the North Downs Way 50/100 for August 2012 and decide on a final date for South Downs Way 100 2012. I've been lucky enough this past week to meet with Dick Kearn (GUCR/ Thames Ring/ Compton) and Henk Van Der Beek (Caesars Camp) to go over some plans for the future. There is no substitute for experience and it is a huge benefit to me to have their ear for our plans in 2012.

I had to shut the waitlist for the Thames Path yesterday when we had filled the available places and had a waiting list of 50 behind them. I can't quite get my head around it but it is so great to see. This sport is certainly growing fast....

Here is a pretty well shot video of Ryan Sandes' winning run at Leadville. Gives an idea of the terrain and just how strength sapping some of the climbs are, particularly when he nears the end

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear the legs are feeling strong and well rested! Your last couple of posts have been really useful to me as a newbie. It's difficult to hold back, but sometimes it's the only sensible choice. Maybe see you at RR50 next month!

    ReplyDelete