Friday 8 October 2010

Caesars Camp 100

Have spent the day resting in preparation for the 100 miler tomorrow and I am 100% ready to kick this off now, I think Badwater is finally out of my system. I intend to set out on 5mph pace or 2 hours per lap, very slowly, but hold a lot in reserve for later on, particularly after it gets dark. I will be way off the front runners by that time but if I can run successfully through the night, as every competitor will have to, then hopefully I'll be within a few hours of the finish/ the leaders by the time the sun comes up still sticking to that 2 hour pace. Don't get me wrong Im not trying to win this thing but I made the mistake here in 2007 of going off way too quickly and then making a stupid mistake which led to an injury. My lap times that year were 1:30, 1:35, 2:25 (hobbling in to drop after I turned my ankle at 26 miles). At 20 miles I was in the lead by about 8 minutes and that included all the 50 mile runners as well. Its a technical course with a lot of short sharp climbs and descents.

Webbo has kindly agreed to come and run from midnight to around 7am with me once I get through the 60 mile point at which we are allowed pacers. That should be a big help knowing that if I can put 100k in by myself and get a solid base, I will have his company for a significant portion of the most difficult section 60 through 90 miles, the small hours of Sunday morning. 

So potentially the last big race of the year. Ive never DNF'd a 100 mile (or +) race but I have DNFd 2 races over the last 5 years. This was my first (the 50 mile version) so its time to get that monkey off of my back now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment