Tuesday 31 August 2010

The Next Race

This morning i biked in to work, quads still sore from running up and down mountains at the weekend so took it pretty easy. Did a 30 minute recovery run at lunch and another 4 miles after work. Will try and build back up to pretty big mileage for the next 3 weeks with Caesars Camp 100 mile the next and possibly last thing on the race schedule for this year on the 9th October.

I decided today that Furnace Creek 508 was going to be way too big of an ask with the amount of preparation I've put in on the bike and the lack of time I'm going to have to get it done. Im absolutely shattered from so much travelling and with the abandonment of the UTMB I've got some unfinished business which a relatively local 100 miler will give me the perfect opportunity to attend to.

I DNF'd Caesars Camp 50 miler a few years ago when I damaged my left foot at around the marathon point and hobbled in to the 30 mile point to drop. The 100 is a tough race, 10 laps of 10 miles with a cumulative elevation gain of 15,200ft (the same amount of descent on top clearly). I have done the hill work to prep for UTMB so this should hopefully tie me over nicely to a decent performance in 5 weeks time.

Caesars Camp Profile

Furnace Creek can wait for another year, Im sure one of the Endurance Heroes will want to give it a go in the future and I'd be right there for it.

1 comment: